How to reset Income/Excpense account dates globally?

Peter J. Farley III pjfarley3 at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 18 23:18:39 UTC 2016

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I am running V4.7.2 of kMyMoney from a download dated on my system as 7/20/2015 (kmymoney-x86-setup-4.7.2.exe).  I have not yet tried this under V4.8.0.

I have been importing and deleting about 1300 checking account transactions as I adjust the categories that I want them assigned to (I am programmatically pre-assigning categories in a CSV import file).  I delete all payees and all transactions between each pass.  When I finish the import and then Save is when the "consistency checks" error messages appear, saying that the starting date for some of the categories is after the date of the earliest transaction assigned to that category.  It also says it automatically fixed the category date in each case.

I then decided that I wanted a shorter list of categories, so after deleting all payees and transactions again I then deleted all categories and started over with the detailed account template and added a few more groups (Housing, Schedule A) and then added a few custom categories of my own.  For the custom categories that I added manually I did set the start date to the opening date of the account I am loading, but I didn't set any dates on the system-provided categories that I imported.  I *think* I saved after setting up my new account template; I should have, but I can’t be positive that I did.

I will restart the process again from scratch (empty account template, no payees or transactions) and log what happens at each step and report my results as soon as I can.

Some RL events and duties will likely prevent me from getting back to this exercise right away, so it may be a few days or more before I can report back, possibly not until after Christmas.

BTW, is it possible to actually import an entire externally-modified account template (a *.kmt file) into a new, completely empty kMyMoney file which has no categories defined at all?  If so, what date would be assigned to those imported categories?

Regards,

Peter