Entering mutual fund in KMM 4.7.2 without finding online source

Louis-Philippe Allard lp.allard.1 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 20:39:04 UTC 2016

  Quoting Thomas Baumgart <thb at net-bembel.de>:

> Hi Louis-Philippe,
>
> On Saturday 02 April 2016 19:20:13 Louis-Philippe Allard wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to enter several mutual funds in KMM but their trading
>> symbol is not on any of the provided online sources in KMM's security
>> dialob box.
>>
>> The only remaining choice is to update the prices manually, but this
>> is cumbersome and I'd rather rely on a reliable online source to
>> update currencies and securities.
>>
>> One example of mutual fund I am trying to integrate in KMM is
>> http://quote.morningstar.ca/quicktakes/fund/f_ca.aspx?t=F0CAN05NHD&region=ca
>> n&culture=en-CA
>>
>> This is a canadian MF.  The symbol is CIG2601 (if you google this you
>> will inevitably get either the investment firm's website or the
>> Morningstar quote site which lists all of my other MF as well..
>>
>> Is it possible to add morningstar to the list of online sources in
>> KMM, or if not, how can use morningstar's website as online update
>> service?
>
> Did you have a look at
> https://docs.kde.org/stable4/en/extragear-office/kmymoney/details.investments.prices.html#details.investments.onlinequotes
> already? At the bottom of this page we explain how to add new quote
> sources. A
> bit of regular expression foo is required to extract the price from a web-
> site. In case you don't have that, I am sure someone here on the user mailing
> list can help out.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> --
>
> Regards
>
> Thomas Baumgart
>
> GPG-FP: E55E D592 F45F 116B 8429   4F99 9C59 DB40 B75D D3BA
> Embedded Linux: because you can't do control-alt-delete on a
> pacemaker.-------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Thomas,

thanks for pointing out the documentation section on adding new online
quote sources.  I have never played with regex before (but I am aware
on what they do and roughly how they work), I will give it a try to
add morningstar to the list of sources, but on the other hand I also
believe for most north american investers, morningstar is a good
reliable source for quotes since they are well established in the
sector.  North Amewrican KMM users and perhaps international users as
well would certainly benefit from having morningstar added to the list.

On 5 mutual funds I hold, 3 are not available on yahoo or google
finance, and are only available on morningstar site.  They also appear
to have a huge API capability and some development functionalities...

Like I said, I will give a try to add it to my KMM install but I
cannot guarantee its gonna work well due to my lack of coding
experience.

Thanks!