[Kmymoney] Delete/Correct Account Currency Entries

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Wed Sep 9 10:38:42 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Tuesday 08 September 2015 11:30:53 aga wrote:

> On 08/09/15 10:11, timothy wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a problem with spurious currencies. I saved my .kmy file to .xml
> > and identified the entries which are similar to below:-
> >
> >   <ACCOUNT currency="E000027" description="" parentaccount="A000353"
> >
> > opened="2008-05-07" number="" lastmodified="2014-08-08" type="15"
> > id="A000388" lastreconciled="" institution="" name="............">
> >
> > The currency "E000027" is not valid and throws up errors in the Tools >
> > Update Stock and Currency Prices option.
> >
> > How would I go about changing the E0000.. to the base currency in
> > the .kmy file? There is no way that I can see to delete these entries.
> > They only show up in the Tools > Update Stock and Currency Prices and
> > cannot be deleted there.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> > Regards
> >
> > Timothy
>
> Hi Timothy
>
> Apart from the errors in the Tools/Update Stock and Currency Prices
> option, does everything else appear to work normally?.
>
> I would have expected the Consistency check to have flagged a problem
> like this, assuming you have done one.  It might be as well to ensure
> you keep a copy of that file in case any investigation of that aspect is
> necessary.
>
> Does the currency ID "E000027" show up elsewhere in your file?  Can you
> see what it relates to?
>
> Before anything else, ensure you have good working backup.  Bear in mind
> that editing the file involves some risk, so take your time.  Change the
> currency ID to that of your base currency, for just one of these
> records, then save as XML, and you can then load that into KMM as usual.
>   Run a Consistency check and then look for this account and see if all
> looks normal.  Then, if OK, repeat the process for the other errors,
> with your fingers crossed.

I don't repeat the security hints about keeping backups.

A type="15" account is a stock account so E000027 must be a security of some
stock. It should be somewhere in the file. If not, I wonder how you deleted
it. Are there transactions referencing this security?

If you don't see E000027 elsewhere in your file, I would create a dummy
security or currency, figure out its ID in the XML file and change E000027 to
that ID. Then start removing this stuff. It is certainly not valid if E000027
is missing.

Hope that helps. If instructions are unclear, please let us know.

If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming
must be the process of putting them in. -- Edsger W. Dijkstra