[Kmymoney] Choosing the bank import file

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Tue Jan 27 07:00:41 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Monday 26 January 2015 22:52:59 huw wrote:

> On 26/01/15 22:14, aga wrote:
> > OFX is theoretically the best, as it was built for the job, but not
> > every supplier stays within the rules.
> >
> > The last three are probably proprietary.  The first is likely to be
> > CSV (comma separated values), for which there is a KMM plugin.  How
> > successful it will be, depends on the actual file format and type.
> > Banking is pretty standardised but investment less so, but as you
> > mention 'bank', you could be in with a chance.
> >
> > What KMM version do you have?  The latest is best.  CSV support has
> > been in for a while now, but has been 'evolving', shall we say?  It's
> > certainly worth  a try.
> >
> > If you have any difficulty, let's know.
> >
> > Allan
>
> Thank you Allan, I appreciate your advice.  Yes I'm referring only to
> banking.  OFX is what I get with what I usually select, which is
> Microsoft Money 2002, but CSV sounds promising (I notice you're the
> author of that plugin!).  I think I'll give it a go.
>
> I'm using 4.7.1 and that's on Manjaro so I assume it's the latest
> release of KMM.
>
> One more question - would there be any implications to suddenly
> switching the file type that I use to import transactions?

Well, that depends. It could be that you see some duplicates if you import the
dame data from different sources (formats). Otherwise, you should not see any
problems.

p.s. I would appreciate if you could send us (me) the OFX source file where
you see data is truncated. I wonder if that is already truncated in the OFX
file, libOfx does it's part or if it is KMyMoney doing the cutting. If you
need more information on that, please feel free to contact me via PM.

A clearly defined problem is half the solution! -- Julian Huxley