[Kmymoney] Choosing the bank import file

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 22:14:24 UTC 2015

On 26/01/15 20:24, huw wrote:
> Hello all
>
> My bank's website offers a range of files for me to import transaction
> data into KMyMoney.  I've been using OFX but I've noticed that the data
> associated with transactions can be truncated if there's a long
> "message".  Is there a better type of file I should be using, and if so,
> would it cause any issues with my ledger if I suddenly switched?  My
> choices are:
>
> "Spreadsheet"
> Microsoft Money 1998, 99, 00, 01, 02
> Sage Line 50
> Quickbooks 2005
>
> Many thanks in advance for any advice.
>
> Kind regards,
> Huw

OFX is theoretically the best, as it was built for the job, but not
every supplier stays within the rules.

The last three are probably proprietary.  The first is likely to be CSV
(comma separated values), for which there is a KMM plugin.  How
successful it will be, depends on the actual file format and type.
Banking is pretty standardised but investment less so, but as you
mention 'bank', you could be in with a chance.

What KMM version do you have?  The latest is best.  CSV support has been
in for a while now, but has been 'evolving', shall we say?  It's
certainly worth  a try.

If you have any difficulty, let's know.

Allan