[Kmymoney] HowTo enter reinvestments of dividends?

Stefan Seide bugs-debian at seide.st
Mon Sep 29 16:30:36 UTC 2014

Am Montag, 29. September 2014, 16:52:10 schrieb David Houlden:
> On Monday 29 September 2014 12:22:50 Stefan Seide wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > my problem is the following with entering the reinvestment (using the
> > values from the example below):
> >
> > for reinvestments i am able enter the following:
> >
> > - new shares i got (0,406 a 52,96EUR) = 21,65EUR
> > - all taxes (8,36EUR and 0,45EUR)
> >
> > => now KMyMoney substracts the taxes from the 21,65EUR - it says i got
> > 12,84EUR - thats wrong. The taxes must be subtracted from the entire
> > dividend i got (30,45 EUR) - the 21,65 is the remaining money after
> > taxes, the money where shares where reinvested from.
> >
> > Trying to enter an additional dividend payment of 30,45 EUR into the
> > split charges window besides the two taxes does not work too.
> > KMyMoney ignores the 30,65 EUR dividend income.
> >
> > I will write more today evening when i'm back at the computer where i
> > use KMyMoney.
> >
> > for now i may have to follow Allans advice with two seperate
> > transactions.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Stefan
>
> Stefan,
>
> A couple of possibilities come to mind. Can you check the following.
>
> 1. Are you entering the amounts of tax as positive or negative numbers?
> I enter them as positive numbers but see point 2 below.

Ah, thanks. That is my  problem. I entered them as negative numbers (typed
them from the bank paper i got as written there).

> 2. Are the categories you use for tax set up as income or expense
> categories. I have tax set up as an expense category.

The tax categories are already expense categories. Because I entered the taxes
as negative numbers, i thought i must enter the original dividend income
somewhere too to get the correct values and failed...

> I am able to achieve what you want with KMyMoney by entering the taxes
> into the split editor as positive amounts and using categories defined as
> expenses. The total amount of dividend is then correctly shown against
> my dividend income category while the expense tax categories show the
> deductions.
>
> Hope that helps,
> David

Many thanks to all for the fast help in this case! Now its working as
expected.

Bye,
Stefan