[Kmymoney] HowTo enter reinvestments of dividends?

David Houlden djhoulden at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 15:52:10 UTC 2014

On Monday 29 September 2014 12:22:50 Stefan Seide wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my problem is the following with entering the reinvestment (using the
> values from the example below):
>
> for reinvestments i am able enter the following:
>
> - new shares i got (0,406 a 52,96EUR) = 21,65EUR
> - all taxes (8,36EUR and 0,45EUR)
>
> => now KMyMoney substracts the taxes from the 21,65EUR - it says i got
> 12,84EUR - thats wrong. The taxes must be subtracted from the entire
> dividend i got (30,45 EUR) - the 21,65 is the remaining money after
> taxes, the money where shares where reinvested from.
>
> Trying to enter an additional dividend payment of 30,45 EUR into the
> split charges window besides the two taxes does not work too.
> KMyMoney ignores the 30,65 EUR dividend income.
>
> I will write more today evening when i'm back at the computer where i
> use KMyMoney.
>
> for now i may have to follow Allans advice with two seperate
> transactions.
>
> Thanks,
> Stefan

Stefan,

A couple of possibilities come to mind. Can you check the following.

1. Are you entering the amounts of tax as positive or negative numbers?
I enter them as positive numbers but see point 2 below.

2. Are the categories you use for tax set up as income or expense
categories. I have tax set up as an expense category.

I am able to achieve what you want with KMyMoney by entering the taxes
into the split editor as positive amounts and using categories defined as
expenses. The total amount of dividend is then correctly shown against
my dividend income category while the expense tax categories show the
deductions.

Hope that helps,
David