[Kmymoney] Call for Windows package testers

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 17 22:05:42 UTC 2014

On 2014.09.12 22:10, Jack wrote:
>> > I can also understand not supporting XP, but what about Windows
>> Vista?
>> Since I don't have Vista available, I can't say, somebody should try
>> it. I was sure about XP since I had one and tried to run the new
>> version on it. I get an error like [1] this.
>> [1]
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7702463/what-is-special-about-the-executables-compiled-with-visual-studio-11-which-resul
>
> Sorry for the delay, but I finally got to try the installer on a
> Windows Vista system.  The installer ran fine, with no errors, but a
> momentary pop-up of a command line window complaining about missing
> mime-types (or something like that - it disappeared after about a
> second with no intervention on my part).  Trying to run KMM, however,
> does absolutely nothing.  No error, no warning, no window.  I even
> tried from command line - just back to command prompt, no feedback at
> all.

[replying to my own message because I can't currently find any later
message in my oveflowing inbox]

After uninstalling and reinstalling, it seems to work fine, even
without a reboot.  One difference is that this time I installed as a
user with admin privs.  I confirmed it still works as that user and a
different user without admin privs.  So - we know the latest installer
does work under Windows Vista.

As a digression:  the uninstall/reinstall was a nightmare.  It seemed
to complete the uninstall fine - no error messages.  I then tried to
run the installer, and got some error message about not being able to
write one of the dll files.  I cancelled the install, and started
looking in the install directory.   I'm not absolutely certain whether
stuff had not been deleted by the uninstall, or if all those files were
from the second installation before it failed.  However, I had a very
hard time simply deleting all of them so I could make a clean install.
I don't know what the underlying issue was, but I just could not delete
any of the dll files (and some others?) either as a user with admin
privs, or even as the main system owner user.  I finally managed to
delete everything using the Cygwin shell.  All seems OK now, but we'll
see what happens on the next uninstall when I try the next version.