[Kmymoney] Some newbie questions

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sat Jun 14 08:23:59 UTC 2014

Hi,

please find my comments inline.

On Saturday 14 June 2014 01:03:25 Divan Santana wrote:

> Hello Kmymoney Friends,
>
> So I've finally invested sometime into switching to kmymoney.
> It's been a bit of work, but I think it will be worthwhile in the long run
> and so far things are looking pretty good.
>
> Think the program is great and appreciate the documentation too! So keep up
> the good work and thank you!

Thank you very much.

> Few newbie questions to follow and mostly just asking from your guys
> experience on how you use it etc
>
> 1) Month dates configurable?
> Typically I get paid on the 20th of the month and I have run my monthly
> budgets from the 20th to the 20th of the following month. Is this
> configurable/possible in kmymoney or will cause mismatches/problems? I see
> on the reports I can configure a date to pull a report, but I'm concerned
> that on the front screen it's going to complain about my budgets being out
> because by default it will likely calculate from the 1st to the 31st.

Yes, budgets are based on full months and this is fixed.

> 2) With scheduled transactions there is an option wrt 'Non-processing day'.
> I believe by default, it classifies Saturday, Sunday and public holidays as
> a non-processing day. Is this configurable anywhere? Because in South
> Africa it seems Saturday is a processing day.

KMyMoney respects the KDE locale settings for that purpose AFAIR.

> 3)  How does one budget for a transfer? Eg, transfer 500 from cheque to a
> savings account. One can't categorise this transaction as it's a transfer
> so therefore one can't budget on it.
> Ok after some research I came across this link[1]. Is this still the case,
> ie one can't really budget for a transfer (like principal home loan) or an
> investment/saving, and therefore there is a hack/workaround?

That really is a hack. One could use another trick: record two transactions
instead of one. Using your above example, one would be an expense on the
cheque account, the other one an income on the savings account.  Accounting
wise this is the same as a transfer, but a bit more error prone, since you
must take care of keeping the two parts in sync (date and amount wise). But
you gain an expense category you can use in your budget and run reports
against it.

> 4)  Out of interest, has kmymoney replaced spreadsheets completely for you
> guys? In terms of budgets or most of your finances?

Yes, for most of the cases.

A: I hear that if you play the Windows XP CD backwards, you
 get a Satanic message!
B: That's nothing. If you play it forward, it installs WinXP!