[Kmymoney] Reinvesting Dividends

Joe W. Byers ecjbosu at aol.com
Wed Jan 15 03:48:11 UTC 2014

On 01/14/2014 08:12 PM, Jane Hadley wrote:
> Now that a new year is beginning, I'm shifting over completely to
> KMyMoney from Quicken. The training wheels are off!
>
> I've solved many questions through trial-and-error, consultation with
> my husband, and Internet research. But here's one I haven't cracked yet.
>
> When I do a "reinvest dividend" activity, I am given boxes to enter in
> the number of shares and the price per share. When I do that, KMM
> calculates the total dollar amount.
>
> I have two questions about this "reinvest dividend" process:
>
> 1) Even though I type in 57.758 shares, KMM rounds it to 57.76 shares.
> I would like to have more than two decimal places for my share
> balance. I have already gone to Settings-->Configure KMyMoney -->
> Price precision = 6 digits. But I still get this rounding to two
> decimal places for share quantity. Any way to achieve my objective?
>
> 2) My Fidelity account gives only the number of shares and the dollar
> amount of a dividend transaction. When I entered these into Quicken,
> it automatically calculated the share price. But I haven't found any
> way for KMyMoney to do this. Hence, I have had to use a hand-held
> calculator to calculate the share price and then enter that figure
> into KMyMoney, but this seems rather clunky.
>
> Am I missing something here? I would like for KMM to allow me to enter
> the number of shares and total dollar amount and then have the share
> price automatically calculated by KMM.
>
> Thanks,
> Jane Hadley

Jane,

The fraction field for each investment will set the decimal places for
share quantity.  I set all of mine to 1/1000.  I had more when I
migrated from Quicken 2 years ago, but after time reset them to 1000.  i
find this works adequately since most brokerages only show 3 decimal
places for share volumes.

I have configured Kmymoney to use kcalc on my linux machine.  This
allows me to click a little calculator button or type in the formula of
total price / shares to get a price per share.  I would also like this
field to be calculated from total price since trading mutual funds can
have 3 different prices per share for ordinary dividends, short term cap
gains, and long term cap gains dispursed.  The brokerage firm tends to
round differently for each of these.  I irritates me that I then have 3
different cost basis to average out:)  We could both request this feature.

Thank you
Joe

--
*Joe W. Byers*