[Kmymoney] Investments: Dividend Reversal

Allan agander93 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 22:24:04 UTC 2014

On 12/01/14 21:28, Joe W. Byers wrote:
> I have found an issue when trying to reverse a dividend credited to a
> Money Market Account from a Stock.  I had a few shares of a company
> stock that required manually transferring the shares after I left the
> firm.  I was paid by check a dividend and deposited it into my 401K. The
> investment firm inadvertently credited by account twice for the
> transaction in two different statement periods.  I recorded it and in
> the following statement period where it was reverse attempted to enter a
> transaction with a negative dividend (income account).  Kmymoney would
> not accept the negative amount and kept resetting the total to a
> positive value.  I know I can delete my transactions and have the
> correct balances, but I loose the detailed audit tracks that accountants
> like to see.
>
> This will require an expense dividend category or a transfer account
> with an adjusting entry from either of these to the income dividend
> category to get the income dividend category to be correct.
>
> What can we do about this?

If I understand correctly, you have a conventional dividend, and you
wish to enter a balancing dividend with a negative amount?

If that is the case, then I'm not sure what the difficulty is, as I am
able to do that, both via import and manually.

If I enter $-10 as the interest, it immediately shows as a value of
$-10. Once the transaction is entered, if the focus is moved, the value
in the investment account will appear as $10, but if the focus is
returned, the interest amount does show as $-10.  In the Asset account,
the two transactions will show as a
deposit and a payment.

Allan