[Kmymoney] OFX transactions one at a time

William K Helbig Jr whelbig at windstream.net
Thu Dec 11 02:59:45 UTC 2014

On 12/10/2014 08:49 PM, Jack wrote:
> Well, I confirm the behavior.  Unfortunately, I don't think there are
> any KMyMoney settings you can use to alter it.  It looks like it is the
> <STMTTRNRS> tags (with closing </STMTTRNRS>) of which there are four -
> each containing only one transaction.  I have not delved into the ofx
> spec looking for this tag, but I think it probably means Statement
> Transaction Record Set (or something like that) and I would expect one
> per file, not one per transaction.  Without looking at the spec, I can't
> be sure whether this is actually illegal OFX, or simply poor design.
>
> You might try calling for technical help from your bank, but I strongly
> suspect that will not do much, as it seems most institutions buy (or
> lease) their OFX software from someone else, and have nobody in-house
> with any technical understanding at all, beyond reading some scripts on
> how to use Quicken.  That said, it would be interesting to see what
> Quicken would do with this file.  At minimum, you might be able to
> convince them to log the call and forward it to the technical folks who
> actually support OFX for them.
>
> In practical terms, editing the OFX file might be possible, but probably
> not as simple as just removing the extra </STMTTRNRS><STMTTRNRS> pairs,
> since there are other sections repeated within them which would then
> probably be detected as superfluous.  Were you perhaps thinking about
> changing banks?
>
> I'll update if I do get any more useful information out of the spec.
>

> Jack

Thank you for taking a look and confirming the behavior. FWIW my bank
refers this as a "Money Active Statement" download and gives this

Download to Money®
Requires Money 2000® or higher.
An Active Statement is a file in the OFX (Open Financial Exchange)
format, which contains transaction information that Microsoft Money can
automatically import. When you download an Active Statement file, Money
starts and automatically receives the file that contains the transaction
information. You can then reconcile these transactions and enter them in
the Account Register in Money.

See the Microsoft Money reference manual or help files for details on
how to use the file.

I'll play with the file and see if I can eliminate the problem. I'll
post my results at a future date.

Skip H