[Kmymoney] Problem importing simple CSV

Allan agander93 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 22:57:52 UTC 2013

Hi Louis-Philippe

I've interspersed my comments in-line below.
On 09/11/13 15:50, Louis-Philippe Allard wrote:
> Hello,
>
> so I am trying to import a simple 3 column CSV file that was generated
> by libreoffice calc.
>
> Upon selecting the file in KMM I am presented with its content, KMM
> automatically detects the proper field mapping (column 1 as the date, 2
> as the payee/description, and 3 as the amount).
>
> I make sure in "Settings" everything is OK then I click import.
>
> Immediately there is a popup saying
>
> "Enter debit flag column number".
>
> This is very unclear.  I assume KMM is asking which column is containing
> the debit amounts but why would it ask that if it automatically detected
> it was column 3??  I tried leaving it blank and entering 3, same result
> int he end.  Can anyone explain what this is?

Ah, yes.  This is a pre-historic problem, to match the version you are
using!

That feature you've stumbled upon was introduced foe a particular user,
and I can't at the moment even remember why it was needed.  However,
there are a few ways of dealing with it.  The first and easiest is just
to hit return.  Then to avoid the problem, if you are reasonably au fait
with  editing, open the file
~/yourid/.kde(4)/share/config/csvimporterrc, and look for the line
"DebitCol=-1".  Then, ensure KMyMoney has been closed, and change the
value from -1 to 0 and save.  All being well, you should not see that
again.  Thirdly, and advisably, try to get on to a more up-to-date
version of KMM.  Version 4.6.4 has recently been released.

> Then I select the account ti want to import the transactions to.  In my
> case, I select my chequing account in the dropdown lost and click OK.
>
> Immediately KMM says
>
> KMyMoney has found a scheduled transaction named Federal Income
> Deductions which matches an imported transaction. Do you want KMyMoney
> to enter this schedule now so that the transaction can be matched?

> I have NO idea how this is possible since all of my transactions in the
> CSV file have IDENTICAL payees to the ones already in KMM and they are
> associated to restaurants.  How is KMM making the association between a
> scheduled transaction that has NO similar or identical keywords and has
> no ties whatsoever???
>
> I select No and answer this approximately 70 times......
>
> Finally, it says that it has imported all 237 transactions but created
> 13 new payees... Basically, KMM re-created every payee that was already
> in my payee list/
>
> Why's that?

I've no immediate answer to this, see what happens after you initial
problem is resolved, in case there is some weird connection.

> Thank you for your help and assistance!

Your welcome

Allan