[Kmymoney] dealing with investment accounts

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 22 16:32:26 UTC 2013

On 2013.05.22 11:49, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> How do I deal with an investment account that is called a Cash
> Management Account?   When I set it up online the institution called
> it an investment acct but since I have never figured out how to
> reconcile them and since we use it for cash so I told KMM it was a
> cash account.  But we did transfer some bonds from the other
> account.  So can I just do this off the cuff and make up a
> transaction for the bond bit or do I need to set up an investment
> acct?  If so, do I then need a brokerage account?   Eesh!
>
> In any case  I do need to learn how to reconcile investment accts.
> Is there some document that you'd suggest to guide me?
Gary,

I think there are a few separate, but related issues here.  I have
exactly the same issue, and there is no good solution right now.

First, the problem is not the name of the account.  "Cash Management
Account" is a name invented by the institution.  I have a CMA with
Merrill Lynch, and as you seem to have discovered, the basic issue is
that they have a single account for both cash and investments, where
KMM uses an investment account (securities only) and a separate, but
linked "brokerage" account for the cash portion (although it can be
defined as cash, checking, or savings.)  I suspect part of the reason
KMM does it this way is historical - investment transactions and cash
transactions are so different that it may have been the developers'
decision to track them in separate type accounts.

One possible (theoretical) solution to allow using a single account (it
would be an investment account) would be to create a "cash" security,
with a value of 1 in whatever currency you use.  I call it theoretical,
because, for example, a stock purchase transaction requires the cash
come from the brokerage account associated with the investment account,
and although you could sell an appropriate amount of the "case"
security at the same time, it would still be two separate investment
transactions.  In addition, I'm pretty sure it still wouldn't match the
transactions you download from the institution.

Regarding reconciling an investment account in KMM, this is something
I've been meaning to bring up for a long time.  I don't know the
history, but I suspect that reconciliation was invented for bank and/or
credit card accounts.  Although you can perform the procedure on an
investment account (I actually do it on a regular basis) it only takes
into account cash transactions, and always shows the balance as $0.  In
addition, it does not change the status of investment transactions, so
I still need to do that (cleared -> reconciled) manually.  The only
real thing it does for me is  to place the "last reconciliation" banner
in the ledger.  In my case, I do a reconciliation only after confirming
the number of shares for all securities in the account - and I'm not
sure there is a way to get that information through OFX, although I
admit I have not checked the OFX specs.

Final issue - when I download OFX transactions for my CMA account (and
exactly the same for my IRA, even though the name is different) the
institution not only mixes investment and cash transactions, for
dividend reinvestments, they use three transactions: one for dividend,
one for purchase, and separate one for reinvestment.  For a while, I
tried importing all those transactions and then doing manual editing
and deletion  to clean things  up.  I now find it easier to just enter
all the transactions manually.

One point to note: the csv importer may be able to handle the imports
correctly.  I know the developer had been working on this, but I don't
know how far he actually got.  If you are interested in pursuing this,
he might be interested in seeing some example csv files from the
institution.  The other option, although I'm not sure whether it would
be worth the effort, is to create a pre-processor, that takes an OFX
file from the institution, and separates it into a pair of files, one
for the investment account, and one for the brokerage account.

Sorry to ramble, but, unfortunately, I do not see any easy solution for
this issue.  Contrary opinions are welcome.