[Kmymoney] Importing from Quicken (2008).

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 00:29:02 UTC 2013

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 14:58:55 -0500
Dada Krpasundarananda <krpasundarananda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> To import my 10years of financial data from Quicken 2008 to KMyMoney
> I first exported all the accounts to a qif file then I imported this
> file into KMM and after an hour of working it added all the ledgers.
>
> However there are a few issues that I hope someone can help me to
> resolve.
>
> 1) transfers between accounts are added twice when the original
> accounts are in different currencies, each currency amounts gets
> added to each account. I can manually resolve this but it would take
> a long time.

This is actually a basic problem in the QIF format.  I copy below a
paragraph from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicken_Interchange_Format
"
When editing the QIF file, check for any transaction Category (the
field starting with 'L') for an account name contained in brackets,
such as [Checking Account]. The brackets reference another quicken
account, and if left in place will post a transaction in that account
in addition to the account being imported to, with potentially
troublesome results. Avoid this by removing the text including the
brackets and replacing with another category if desired. The only
exception to this is an opening balance transaction, identified by
'Opening Balance' in the 'P' field (POpening Balance). In this case,
the brackets need to be left in place, and the account name between the
brackets must exactly match the account name in the 'N' field."

As this indicates, you really need to edit your QIF file before import.

> 2) All accounts are imported in the same base currency though the
> original accounts are all in different currencies. If I try to edit
> the account afterwards the base currency drop down box is greyed out.
> How can I resolve this? Why is it not doing it when importing. The
> amount show up right so only the currency needs to be changed.

Someone may need to correct me here, if I'm wrong, but I'm not aware of
any mechanism for specifying a currency in a QIF file.  I think that
KMM field can't be edited because the account is not empty.  It may be
possible to get around this by importing just the accounts first and
then edit their currency.

> 3) It creates a separate account (leger) for each tag used in
> quicken. So what is one account in Quicken, say "My US$" gets split
> in several accounts (ledgers) according to the tags. Can I prevent
> this from happening? I prefer losing the tags than having all these
> extra (sub?) accounts.

Tags have been added to KMM only recently, and, as far as I can see,
they are implemented only for manual entry, and not via QIF import.  It
looks like another editing session, I'm afraid (This is not uncommon
when importing QIF files.)  Might it help if you edited the '!Type:Tag'
to '!Type:Cat'?  Alternatively, you could delete the Tag entries.

Sorry.

Allan