[Kmymoney] 401k

Joseph Quisgard j.quisgard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 17:55:57 UTC 2013

OK, I have an investment account named 401k.
I have a checking account named brokerage with asset as a parent account.
It looks like I had that part right, It seems my issue was adding
transactions.
Let's say, I get cash from my pay, I have it so that money goes into the
brokerage(checking) account.
I then need to buy shares with the money from the brokerage account that
will be added to the 401k(investment) account. I think this is where
things get messed up.
Thanks for the help by the way, I have been working on getting this
straightened out for months
On 03/07/2013 12:15 PM, Jack wrote:
> On 2013.03.07 11:44, Joseph Quisgard wrote:
>> Does anyone have an accurate way of setting up a 401k account in KMY.
>> I have not been able to figure out a decent way of keeping track of
>> this.
>
> I didn't actually track my own 401k until I rolled it over into an
> IRA, but I don't really see any difference.  Just use an Investment
> account, with an associated Brokerage (checking) account.  The
> investments all go as securities in the investment account and all
> cash transactions go in the brokerage account. The main issue I've
> found is that you can't do OFX imports, since most brokerage firms do
> not distinguish the investment and cash portions as KMM does, so they
> lump all transactions.  I know one of the developers has been working
> to get the csv importer to handle this, but I'm not really sure how
> far along he is, even though I should.  The other option is to do the
> import, but know that some of the transactions will have to be moved
> to the other account.
>
> Minor issues:  most securities (stocks, bonds, mutual funds) map
> easily to KMM securities, and you can automatically fetch prices from
> one of the several available sources for that data.  I've had a small
> number of investments where that didn't work, so I have to manually do
> price updates or value adjustments.
>
> This should be enough to get started - let us  know if you have any
> specific questions or problems.
>
> Jack

P*Please consider the environment before printing this email*