[Kmymoney] envelope budgeting

Koos Pol koos2013 at pohw.nl
Thu Jan 10 21:07:04 UTC 2013

Op 10-01-13 11:02, Sam Abed schreef:
> Hello I am wondering if there are tips or hints as to how to use kmymoney for
> an envelope budgeting system

Well, what I do, and what works is maintaining a savings account for each
envelope and one saving account for the big heap. From the big heap I
distribute it over the "envelopes". The big heap should there for always be
close to 0 (zero).

Say I'm moving €1000 from my bank account to my savings account. €500 for a
new car, €200 for the summer vacation, and the rest (€300) as general savings.

In the ledger this would be registered as follows:

(1)
Bank acccount		1000 -/-
Savings - Big heap	1000 +

(2)
Savings - Big heap	1000 -/-
Savings - Car		 500 +
Savings - Vacation	 200 +
Savings - General	 300 +

It's not ideal. But it works. I suppose other schemes would works just as well.

Cheers,
Koos

--
http://www.malarianomore.org
Voor $10,= een muskietennet + distributie + voorlichting + nazorg + evaluatie.