[Kmymoney] CSV import with multiple currencies

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 19:26:05 UTC 2013

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 11:01:04 -0700 (PDT)
Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I've decided to track my PayPal account with KMyMoney in addition
> to     my more conventional current, credit and savings accounts.
>
> I'm modelling the PayPal account as an asset account in GBP and
> importing historical data with the CSV importer (v4.6.1).  The
> gotcha is that the CSV file contains withdrawals in multiple
> currencies, USD and EUR.  Helpfully the CSV contains the
> conversion     rate to GBP.
>
> Here's a sample of my PayPal CSV:
>

> Date, Time, Time Zone, Name, Type, Status, Currency, Amount, Receipt
> ID, Balance,
>
> 20/04/2013,15:25:12,BST,Ransomes Sunblinds Ltd,PayPal Express
> Checkout Payment Sent,Scheduled for 4 May 2013,GBP,-3.25,,0,
> 20/04/2013,14:32:53,BST,Spotify Finance Ltd,Pre-approved Payment
> Sent,Completed,GBP,-9.99,,0,
> 20/04/2013,14:32:53,BST,Bank Account,Add Funds from a Bank
> Account,Completed,GBP,9.99,,9.99,
> I'm trying to figure out a number of things:
>
> 	* Can I configure the asset account to represent
> multiple         currencies?
> 	* Is there a way to tweak the CSV importer to use the
> currency specified in the Currency column?
> 	* Are there other ways to import from PayPal?  QIF seems
> to         truncate after a few transactions on my account (looks
> like a         bug with escaping quotes) and I've raised an issue
> with PayPal         about this.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> -------------------------
> (sorry for any )(*&()& formatting - sent from webmail)
>
> Given that the CSV importer doesn't know about currencies, would it
> work to set up two accounts, one in each of the currencies you use.
> Manually separate the csv into separate files (or write a quick
> program, or maybe export separately) for each currency and import
> into the appropriate account.  Then - can you just select all the
> transactions in one of the accounts and move them to the other
> account?
>

> I have only used a single currency myself, so I don't know for sure
> if this will work, but it seems like a possible approach worth trying.
>
> Jack

The best way to achieve this depends somewhat on the actual CSV file.
Probably not the case, but if the different currency transactions are
adjacent in the file, then that single file could be imported more than
once, with different row ranges.

Failing that, then possibly import all into one account then transfer
as appropriate.  I'm only a single currency user, so I can't easily
try, I'm afraid.

I've got a horrible thought about a check box on each row, check to
import, uncheck to skip.  I wouldn't fancy handling a large file that
way, though.

Allan