[Kmymoney] CSV import with multiple currencies

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 22 18:01:04 UTC 2013

Hi guys,

I've decided to track my PayPal account with KMyMoney in addition to     my more
conventional current, credit and savings accounts.

I'm modelling the PayPal account as an asset account in GBP and     importing
historical data with the CSV importer (v4.6.1).  The     gotcha is that the CSV
file contains withdrawals in multiple     currencies, USD and EUR.  Helpfully
the CSV contains the conversion     rate to GBP.

Here's a sample of my PayPal CSV:

Date, Time, Time Zone, Name, Type, Status, Currency, Amount, Receipt ID,
Balance,

20/04/2013,15:25:12,BST,Ransomes Sunblinds Ltd,PayPal Express Checkout Payment
Sent,Scheduled for 4 May 2013,GBP,-3.25,,0,
20/04/2013,14:32:53,BST,Spotify Finance Ltd,Pre-approved Payment
Sent,Completed,GBP,-9.99,,0,
20/04/2013,14:32:53,BST,Bank Account,Add Funds from a Bank
Account,Completed,GBP,9.99,,9.99,
I'm trying to figure out a number of things:

	* Can I configure the asset account to represent multiple         currencies?
	* Is there a way to tweak the CSV importer to use the currency
specified in the Currency column?
	* Are there other ways to import from PayPal?  QIF seems to         truncate
after a few transactions on my account (looks like a         bug with escaping
quotes) and I've raised an issue with PayPal         about this.

Thanks in advance.
(sorry for any )(*&()& formatting - sent from webmail)

Given that the CSV importer doesn't know about currencies, would it work to set
up two accounts, one in each of the currencies you use.  Manually separate the
csv into separate files (or write a quick program, or maybe export separately)
for each currency and import into the appropriate account.  Then - can you just
select all the transactions in one of the accounts and move them to the other
account?

I have only used a single currency myself, so I don't know for sure if this will
work, but it seems like a possible approach worth trying.