[Kmymoney] Reconcile credit card statement

Nick Leverton nick at leverton.org
Tue Oct 23 12:49:28 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 05:38:17AM +0200, Diederik de Haas wrote:

> I'm updating my charges and payments wrt my creditcard. But my CC company
> calculates the closing balance taking into account the payment that will happen
> *after* the statement date (the date it will be written off my account is stated
> on the statement).

...snips...

> The only workaround I've found is changing the statement date so it is after the
> date the next payment will be done, but then the reconcilliation date makes no
> sense anymore. And that's also sth I rather not have.
>
> So: Is there a better way to reconcile my CC statements?

One way to do it might be to create a second credit account on the same
institution.  On receiving the statement you make a transfer dated that
day from that second credit account to the first one, which then balances.
When the institution then takes the money for real, you allocate the
payment to that second credit account, which thus maintains a zero
balance except for those few days across statement dates.  It's thus
largely just an accounting fiction, but it might help reconcile things
in the fictional way your institution wants :-)

Nick