[Kmymoney] Reconcile credit card statement

Diederik de Haas didi.debian at cknow.org
Mon Oct 22 03:38:17 UTC 2012

Hi!

First: Thanks for KMyMoney! It's an awesome program and I've been using it for
years now.
I'm running KMM version 4.6.2 on KDE 4.8.4 (Debian Sid).

Now my question:
I'm updating my charges and payments wrt my creditcard. But my CC company
calculates the closing balance taking into account the payment that will happen
*after* the statement date (the date it will be written off my account is stated
on the statement).
This apparently causes problem when I'm clearing my statements, since payments
done after the statement date will not be taken into account for the
reconcilliation process, which causes a Difference != 0 ... etc.
According to the help file this is intentional.

What I'm doing now is re-calculate the closing balance and enter that in the
wizard, so I can finish the reconcilliation process. But this also means that the
opening balance from my statement is different from the opening balance from the
reconcilliation process. And as mentioned I already had to recalculate the
opening balance.
All these re-calculations are rather error prone and the 'logic' for the
reconcilliation process, ie matching my statements with KMM is completely gone.

The only workaround I've found is changing the statement date so it is after the
date the next payment will be done, but then the reconcilliation date makes no
sense anymore. And that's also sth I rather not have.

So: Is there a better way to reconcile my CC statements?

Thanks in advance,
  Diederik