[Kmymoney] Export/Import Categories

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Wed Oct 3 15:46:44 UTC 2012

Kenneth,

On Wednesday 03 October 2012 10:38:28 Kenneth Jacker wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I thought I might "start over again" (in January) by creating a new KMM
> file.
>
> I've let things go for so long (e.g., unresolved double entries for
> credit card charges paid from my checking account, etc.), that I felt it
> might be better to just start with a "clean slate" ...
>

> Is there some way I can "import" categories from another KMM file?

Yes, use File/Export/Account template on the 'other' file and name it e.g.
ken.kmt, move it into the template directory of your country (they usually
live in KDEDIR/share/apps/kmymoney/templates) and then use
'File/Import/Account template' on a new empty file.

Use 'kde4-config --path data' in a shell to see where KDEDIR can be (there
might be multiple locations).

I just tried it here:

Exported to $HOME/.kde4/share/apps/kmymoney/templates/de_DE/bla.kmt

and imported from there. Unfortunately, the list during import presents it
completely empty as no meta information is available in the file.

> Seems like I'd heard some discussion about this before ...
>
> An approach I *could* use is to make a copy of the current file, delete
> all transactions (and maybe other stuff), and then enter accounts,
> initial balances, etc.  But I'm concerned that I might not "reset"
> everything.
>
> Something reassuring about starting with a brand new file ...
>

> Thanks for your comments,

You're welcome. Hope that helps.

Unix is the most user friendly system I know, the point is
that it is really selective about who is indeed its friend.