[Kmymoney] Export/Import Categories

Allan agander93 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 15:40:37 UTC 2012

On 03/10/12 15:38, Kenneth Jacker wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I thought I might "start over again" (in January) by creating a new KMM file.
>
> I've let things go for so long (e.g., unresolved double entries for
> credit card charges paid from my checking account, etc.), that I felt it
> might be better to just start with a "clean slate" ...
>

> Is there some way I can "import" categories from another KMM file?
>
> Seems like I'd heard some discussion about this before ...
>
> An approach I *could* use is to make a copy of the current file, delete
> all transactions (and maybe other stuff), and then enter accounts,
> initial balances, etc.  But I'm concerned that I might not "reset" everything.
>
> Something reassuring about starting with a brand new file ...
>

> Thanks for your comments,
>
>    -Kenneth

This is not an official response, but just a couple of thoughts, untried.

Firstly, do you wish to have only your own created categories, or those
combined with those from a KMM template?

It is possible to export *an* account from KMM, so you could choose,
say, your most useful/used account and export all its categories within
a chosen timespan.  Then import the qif file into a new .kmy file.  When
initially creating that file you could load a suitable template file,
then import the qif.

You could repeat the qif export/import with other files.  Not a nice
clean way, but it might be worth a try, if no better ideas emerge.

Allan