[Kmymoney] how to best update an asset's value to the current market value

Michael Berger idest at online.de
Wed Oct 3 12:08:09 UTC 2012

Hi Thomas,
let us assume we bought a property some years ago.
We paid 1000 for it, created an asset account NEWASSET in KMM and valued
it 1000.

The market value today is estimated to be 1100 and accordingly we want
to adjust the old value to 1100 in KMM.
This is easily accomplished by creating an income category "thanks to
market".
But then each income and expense report would show an extra
income/expense in the respective month/year.

This is correct in a way but does NOT quite reflect the reality because
the 100 extra would only turn to cash if and when that property is made
to money = being sold.

My perception is that the 100 is only a conditional income and thus
quite different compared to other incomes like salary, sales, bets and
so on.
Instead it is an increase of that very asset's value (for the time being
this is nothing more than just reflected on paper).

Opening the account NEWASSET and booking the 100 into itself is
permitted by KMM but only if the Category is left unassigned (KMM only
offers "Income" or "Expense" whereas "Asset" would be needed if
following my perception).
Everything looks alright and nothing happens but there is this warning
triangle.

For fussy people like myself this is a nuisance.
Is there any other way in KMM to increase/decrease an asset's value
without it being reported as income/expense?

Cheers!
*
*
Michael Berger, Dipl. Ing.