[Kmymoney] Cross Platform File Use

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Thu Nov 22 17:14:49 UTC 2012

Mark,

On Thursday 22 November 2012 09:40:19 Mark Bray wrote:

> I am currently going through a learning curve with Xubuntu, which is
> where I discovered KMyMoney.  It's an excellent program, by the way.  I
> am considering installing this on my Windows PC, but at a later time, I
> may convert that PC to a Linux OS.
> If installed in Windows, can I back up the KMyMoney file to my Xubuntu
> laptop, and be able to access the file to make changes within Xubuntu?
> If this is possible, then it will hopefully make for a smooth transition
> if I decide to convert my PC.
>
> I'm guessing an encryption key will play a part in this cross platform
> transition, but I really want to be sure before wasting my time with a
> windows installation.

The encryption key only comes into play in case you use encryption. For the
conversion you could certainly bypass the encryption in case it causes
trouble.

The regular data file is a gzipped (compressed) XML file. Except maybe line-
endings I don't see a problem why a cross-platform conversion should file but
have to admit that I don't have any experience with it. Maybe others who use
both environmets for their KMyMoney installation can chime in here.

Computer science terms (#095): PGP-Keysigning-Party
 The cult of sitting together and collectively mumbling magic numbers.
 -- Gert Doering