[Kmymoney] Currency Troubles

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 4 14:27:43 UTC 2012

On 2012.11.04 03:54, Volker Paul wrote:
>> UI wise I agree, it could be error prone during data entry, since
>> you now have two entries  for each category and I don't know if you
>> can distinguish between them easily. Interesting use case: 'change
>> location to different base country while keeping full history'.
>> Never thought of this one (I did my moves before I started working
>> on KMyMoney ;)  )
> >
>> If anyone else has an idea, please let us know. Wouldn't that be an
>> interesting task for developers? Given the root on an
>> account/category hierarchy, and a target currency, create a new,
>> parallel hierarchy, empty, with the old hierarchy's structure but
>> the new currency. As it is empty it won't affect the user's
>> statistics, the reports should show the same after this operation.
>> The user can then enter new data into the new category.

There are two other pieces to this in order to make it actually work
well.  First, the category names need to be different.  I think it has
already been suggested to append the name of the old currency to the
old categories, and then use the name without a currency for the new
ones.

The second one would be to make the old categories inactive.  I don't
mean to close them like an account (which would probably not be
possible since they still have all the old transactions) but just to
set some configuration bit so they don't show up when choosing a
category for a new transaction (with some way to get them if you really
need to.)  They should obviously still show up when choosing categories
for a find or report.