[Kmymoney] Currency Troubles

Volker Paul volker.paul at v-paul.de
Sun Nov 4 08:54:16 UTC 2012

Hi,

> UI wise I agree, it could be error prone during data entry, since you now
> have two entries  for each category and I don't know if you can
> distinguish between them easily. Interesting use case: 'change location to
> different base country while keeping full history'. Never thought of this
> one (I did my moves before I started working on KMyMoney ;)  )
>
> If anyone else has an idea, please let us know.
Wouldn't that be an interesting task for developers?
Given the root on an account/category hierarchy, and a target currency,
create a new, parallel hierarchy, empty, with the old hierarchy's structure
but the new currency. As it is empty it won't affect the user's statistics,
the reports should show the same after this operation.
The user can then enter new data into the new category.

As an alternative, one could automatically convert the hierarchy
to the new currency (not just change the base currency but also
convert the transactions), but as every transaction involves two accounts (at
least), I'm not sure if that is easily feasible.
Also, there is a problem: Which exchange rate to take for the conversion,
the current one or the rate at the time of the transaction?

So I'd rather suggest the first solution, automatically creating
a parallel hierarchy. I'm sure many users will have that problem
so it makes sense to provide a programmed solution.
(Unfortunately, for Doug Brown it will most likely come too late.)

Regards

Volker Paul