[Kmymoney] Processing ATM cash withdrawal transactions when importing OFX files

Allan agander93 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 16:32:10 UTC 2012

On 05/07/12 14:44, Maciej Grela wrote:
> 2012/7/5 Allan<agander93 at gmail.com>:

>>> Allan,
>>>
>>> An ATM withdrawal would be just a withdrawal, unless you have created a
>>> KMM Cash account to track the cash in your wallet, in which case it is a
>>> transfer to that account. Unless my memory is worse than I remember, an
>>> OFX file could only specify a transfer between two accounts at the same
>>> institution, and I'm not sure if KMM would still take it as a deposit or
>>> withdrawal, rather than a transfer.
>>>
>>> Jack
>>

>> Hi Jack
>>
>> Agreed.  From what I see, the OP may have earlier withdrawn cash from an
>> ATM, which he doesn't show, and then used the cash to make a payment, a
>> second transaction, which he does show.
>>
>> It seems to me he is trying to compress the two transactions into one, a
>> transfer from his bank account to the payee.  Perhaps I'm missing something?
>>

> Hi Alan,
>
> I'd like to clarify this further. I'm tracking cash payments (which I
> enter manually based on paper receipts) on a Cash-type account in KMM.
> For these the payee is the payee and that's simple.
>
> I also have a bank checking account on which operations include both
> card payments and ATM cash withdrawals. For this account I have an OFX
> file which I want to import.
>
> Now, I don't want to compress these two operations into one. The thing
> I want is: when KMM imports an ATM cash withdrawal operation in the
> OFX (marked by TRNTYPE "CASH") I'd like to have the amount added to my
> cash account - so this would be a transfer between two accounts, not a
> payment AFAIK.
>
> For the time being Jack's solution is sufficient for me because I can
> create a payee for myself, configure it to match all the transactions
> with memos like "METRO WILANOWSKA /WARSZAWA" and set the default
> category to be my cash account.
>
> Br,
> Maciej Grela

OK, thanks for the clarification.  All your bank knows is that you made
an ATM cash withdrawal, so its OFX transaction just reflects that.  What
you then do with that cash is a separate activity about which they no
nothing, and neither can KMM, without your involvement, I think, so it's
down to you to organise that aspect, as you now indicate.

Might you ever make an ATM withdrawal to pay more than one payee?

Allan