[Kmymoney] Credit card usage

David Houlden djhoulden at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 17:03:20 UTC 2012

On Friday 20 January 2012 16:20:43 Edney Matias wrote:
> Thank you, but let me try to summarize what i do and what you suggest.
> Correct me if i'm wrong.
>
> Acctualy i have that account called credit card. When i buy something with
> several installments the first thing i'm doing is a scheduled transaction
> that automatically throw a charge to the credit card account. I set the
> number of installments for this transaction, the value and the due date.
> So monthly i can reconcile the items comparing the credit statement with
> the transactions list that where triggered. Everything ok, i pay the
> credit bill with a transfer from my bank account with only one operation.
> It works fine, i can check the total value of the bill and reconcile it
> with the bank statement, but i don't have an idea of how much money i have
> available on my credit card since i'm always throwing a franction of the
> total value.

I think what you are doing is ok. What you could also do is set up kmymoney to
show future transactions in the ledger. That would show you the future charges
to the credit card. Alternatively, use a custom cash flow forecast report to
look ahead at the balance of the account. Depending how many installments you
have, these solutions may not be very practical.

Regards,
Dave.