[Kmymoney] Credit card usage

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 20 15:13:04 UTC 2012

On 2012.01.20 07:15, Edney Matias wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I've create a credit card account with $1000 (-$1000 indeed) of open
> balance and absolut limit. If i buy a bicycle for $100 i will throw a
> charge of that value, right? The final balance will be -$900.  But
> what if i had split that value in two payments of equal value. In the
> first month i would have a charge of $50 and the balance would be
> -$950. I can then, add a scheduled transaction to reminds me of the
> remaining payment. But the balance is wrong, the right balance would
> be -$900. How can I automate that situation in KMyMoney?
>
> Thank you.
First, if I understand correctly, you probably should have started with
a balance of $0 if you did not already owe anything on the account.
You can then apply the limit of $1000.  At least the way I look at it,
the balance of a credit card account is the amount I owe.

You have to think about to different types of transactions on a credit
card account.  When you buy something, it decreases that balance on the
account, as that money has been paid to the store.  When you make a
payment to the account, it decreases the balance by the amount you
pay.  In this case, you made a single purchase of $100, so the balance
really goes to $-100.  Your intent is to pay that balance in two
payments, so you can either make the first payment of $50, moving the
balance to $-50, and setting a schedule for the second payment, or just
creating a schedule for both payments.