[Kmymoney] Reconciliation problem with different dates in the ledger and the bank statement.

Jack Ostroff ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Jan 8 21:15:17 UTC 2012

[sorry for webmail]

On Sunday 08 January 2012 20:15:55 Thomas Pircher wrote:
> I'm not sure how to handle in this case. I have used the the statement
> dates  in the past in the ledger, and this makes the reconciliation work
> well. But I'd rather prefer having the 'real' date in the ledger and not
> the clearing date from my bank.

Hi Thomas,

I always use the dates from the statement, since that's the actual date that the
amount is written

off your balance. So basically I adjust the date to the clearing date from my
bank.
If the actual date of purchase is (also) important to you, you can add it to the
memo field.

Regards,
  Diederik
I also reconcile every time I get a statement, and I also download an OFX file
for the period.  However, I keep the "actual" dates (both debit items and checks
I've written).  If the transactions are matched, I usually set the date back to
the actual date, but sometimes I miss it if it's not too far.   Also, if they
are too far off, the don't automatically match, but once I check they are both
there, I just delete the imported one and mark the manual one as cleared.  Since
all the actual transaction dates are before the bank's dates, reconciling on the
date of the statement doesn't cause any problems.