[Kmymoney] early loan repayment

hugo borrell hugoborrell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 08:02:40 UTC 2012

2012/2/16 Thomas Baumgart <thb at net-bembel.de>

> Hi,
>
> on Thursday 16 February 2012 06:47:41 hugo borrell wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying hard to use the "loan" accounts of KMM to reproduce what
> > happened to me, and I can't figure out how to do it : loan has started 2
> > years ago, rates have varied annually and I have made an early refund
> that
> > changed my monthly fee.
> >

> > 1) when creating the initial loan, all that is recorded in the registry
> is
> > a serie of operations that have all todays'date. I would expect the
> monthly
> > loans of the 2 previous years !
>
> Are they shown in black or gray (dimmed)? I expect the later and they are a
> preview of a scheduled transaction. So no transaction has been entered into
> the ledger yet. This is backed up by the current balance of 0 (see step 2).

You are true, this is gray. BTW I am surprised to see 25 schedulled
transactions for today : I suppose they are the 25 past transaction which
are schedulled for today, but I don't really get why TODAY instead of the
past 25 monthes. I would expect 25 black past transactions and many gray
future transactions... Is that Because of step 2 ?

> > 2) On the main page, the account is created as "passive" but whith amount
> > 0. I would expect the actual value, i.e. initial value minus what has
> been
> > refunded up to now...
>
> "Passive" I assume means under the group of Liability accounts (in
> contrast to
> possibly "Active" as in Assets). To start with, the money out of the loan
> must
> have gone somewhere. E.g. in case you buy a house and need a loan, you
> would
> have two accounts, one for the house (asset) and one for the loan
> (liability).
> Now if you buy the house, you enter a transfer from the loan account to the
> house. It's not an expense, since you still own the house. Now if you pay
> your
> monthly dues to the loan, the balance on it shrinks over time.

I saw this option of transfering the money to some other account value
(that's a house, precisely), but choosed not to use it since money in the
house I live in is not money I can use (unless to buy another house) and is
money that I'm unsure about the value : I know how much I bought my house,
I have no idea of today selling price, not to mention the price it will be
sold when I die... Or choose to move.
BTW the loan could have been taken for some holidays or goods that cannot
be sold again...

So how can I let the loan be some sort of an expense, like a "passive"
account with a negative value of the money I would have to pay back to get
rid of it ? This would let me know how balanced I am between "active"
(savings) and "passive" (loans)...

> > 3) How can I add an anticipated refund at some point ?
>
> I expect you are talking about an extra payment towards the loan account to
> reduce the balance even more: Simply add a transfer transaction from e.g.
> your
> checking account (or whereever the money came from) to the loan account and
> you're set.

Will KMM automaticaly calculate the interests again to ajust to the new
situation ?

> Does that help?

It's on the way :-)