[Kmymoney] early loan repayment

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Thu Feb 16 06:08:11 UTC 2012

Hi,

on Thursday 16 February 2012 06:47:41 hugo borrell wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying hard to use the "loan" accounts of KMM to reproduce what
> happened to me, and I can't figure out how to do it : loan has started 2
> years ago, rates have varied annually and I have made an early refund that
> changed my monthly fee.
>

> 1) when creating the initial loan, all that is recorded in the registry is
> a serie of operations that have all todays'date. I would expect the monthly
> loans of the 2 previous years !

Are they shown in black or gray (dimmed)? I expect the later and they are a
preview of a scheduled transaction. So no transaction has been entered into
the ledger yet. This is backed up by the current balance of 0 (see step 2).

> 2) On the main page, the account is created as "passive" but whith amount
> 0. I would expect the actual value, i.e. initial value minus what has been
> refunded up to now...

"Passive" I assume means under the group of Liability accounts (in contrast to
possibly "Active" as in Assets). To start with, the money out of the loan must
have gone somewhere. E.g. in case you buy a house and need a loan, you would
have two accounts, one for the house (asset) and one for the loan (liability).
Now if you buy the house, you enter a transfer from the loan account to the
house. It's not an expense, since you still own the house. Now if you pay your
monthly dues to the loan, the balance on it shrinks over time.

> 3) How can I add an anticipated refund at some point ?

I expect you are talking about an extra payment towards the loan account to
reduce the balance even more: Simply add a transfer transaction from e.g. your
checking account (or whereever the money came from) to the loan account and
you're set.

Does that help?

Laziness led to the invention of the most useful tools.