[Kmymoney] KBanking plugin transaction dates

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 5 22:30:37 UTC 2012

On 2012.08.05 19:12, Allan wrote:
> On 05/08/12 22:53, Jack wrote:

>>> To some extent, this is actually a more general issue than just
>>> KBanking.
>>>
>>> A similar situation arises with many transactions.  For instance,
>>> you
>>> mey have a scheduled transaction that gets entered on one date, but
>>> the QIF/CSV imported date is different.  A while ago, someone was
>>> actually dealing with it, or thinking of, having another virtual
>>> account, acting as an intermediary account, enabling both dates to
>>> be
>>> kept.
>>>
>>> Allan
>> Yes - this affects any import where you match a transaction entered
>> manually or by a schedule.  I'm not sure I understand why a virtual
>> account would help.  In the long run (which would require a
>> modification
>> to the underlying transaction object) KMM could keep both dates.  In
>> the
>> short run (just a modification to the matching code, but beyond what
>> could do) if the two dates were different, the one not used could be
>> added to the memo.  A bit better would be to add a configuration item
>> (or even just a pop-up on import) asking which date to keep.  I
>> suppose
>> I'll think about writing it up as an enhancement request.
>>
>> Jack
>
> This is one of those things where it comes down to personal
> preference/requirement.
>
> For my own, simple, purposes, it doesn't really matter one way or the
> other.  However, another user might have a real need to know when a
> sum has been transferred out of his account, but the bank statement
> differs.  So, he transfers that sum to the virtual account, and he
> knows that his real account contains a lesser amount.  When (s)he
> gets the statement, that gets matched against the virtual account.
> And the converse for a scheduled/manual income event.  It could be
> that the there are tax implications too, but that's not something I
> am bothered about.

I see that the virtual account can be used to track money in a
"pending" state, which can certainly be useful.  However, once the
amount does clear, or definitely ends up where it is going, you still
have the problem of only a single date on the transaction, which
doesn't help if you want to track both actions.  I don't think it would
count as good bookkeeping to allow different dates on the different
splits of a single transaction.  For a check, the payee split would
have when I wrote the check, and the checking account would have when
the bank actually released the money.  However, the transaction would
no longer be "atomic" and I don't think that is allowed in proper
double entry bookkeeping.

I think this really comes down to a "wishlist" and will wait until it
either gets lots of votes,  or my coding in C++ gets much much better.