[Kmymoney] Reports/Currency problem

Shane Rice shane2peru at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 23:21:13 UTC 2011

Ok, sorry for my complete ignorance on all this.  I have finally got all
my accounts setup, and I think something isn't right.  I live and work
in Peru, so my day to day expenses are all in PEN.  However my reports
all have to be filled out in US$.  So I have one cash account (Soles in
PEN) and all the rest of my accounts are in US$.  When I do my report,
it mixes the PEN with the $ and throws off the report.  So I must be
missing something.

I also noticed on the home page it reports Soles as though it is US$
even though it says PEN, it calculates the total as though it were a
1=1.    Admittedly when I imported my accounts it was a quite a bit of
work, and I opened the .kmy file with a text editor, and manually
changed the 'Soles' cash account to PEN, that was because all the
amounts were in Soles, and I couldn't change it from within the
program.  My question is this: When working with two currencies,
shouldn't one currency be recorded in that currency?  I read the chapter
on working with currencies, but it doesn't really explain much.  It
doesn't explain how to enter a transaction in a foreign currency.  I
would greatly appreciate any help with this, because I'm having a
difficult time understanding how this is supposed to work.  I do have
version 4.6 installed.

Let me give a small example of how I think it should work:

Home Page view
Cash Account $10
Soles Account PEN  10
Total Assets - $13                   (1USD=3PEN in this simplistic example)

Mine is showing like this:
Home Page
Cash Account $10
Soles Account PEN 10
Total = $20

I really appreciate any help offered in this as I really need to get
this fixed!  Thanks!!!

Shane