[Kmymoney] Re: Exchange Rate from Yahoo Finance

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Mon May 9 19:29:21 CEST 2011

Hi,

on Monday 09 May 2011 19:08:06 timothy wrote:

> Hi
> I am running KMM 1.0.5 on KDE 3.5.10 on Ubuntu Maverick.
> I am writing a program to output QIF from input PDF from my investment
> web site. The statement is in GBP (British Pounds) and I need to add the
> exchange rate to my QIF file to convert to South African Rands.
>
> I have used the string from 'Settings/Configure-KmyMoney/Online Quotes'
> and get a file from yahoo, but it just gives a message 'Missing Format
> Variable'.
> This is using wget
> http://finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=GBPZAR=X&f=sl1d1.
>
> Strangely enough when I put the same string into my browser as an URL, I
> get the correct information downloaded to /var/tmp/kdecache namely
> "GBPZAR=X",10.9798,"5/6/2011".
>
> As I need to request and extract the exchange rate in a program or
> script, I require the wget solution or something similar. Could someone
> help with how I would add the format variable which is missing. Where I
> got the URL in KMM  also gives format filters for Symbol; Price and
> Date. Presumably these should be added in some way. I have tried various
> combinations, but obviously with no success.

You're missing, that the URL contains a few special characters which are
interpreted by the shell, like '&'. Here's how I do it (make sure to use
single quotes around the URL which keeps the shell from interpreting them as
special):

thb at thb-nb:~> wget --output-document=quotes.csv
'http://finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=GBPZAR=X&f=sl1d1'
asking libproxy about url
'http://finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=GBPZAR=X&f=sl1d1'
libproxy suggest to use 'direct://'
--2011-05-09 19:27:04--
http://finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=GBPZAR=X&f=sl1d1
Resolving finance.yahoo.com... 76.13.115.116
Connecting to finance.yahoo.com|76.13.115.116|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Redirect
Location: http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=GBPZAR=X&f=sl1d1
[following]
asking libproxy about url
'http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=GBPZAR=X&f=sl1d1'
libproxy suggest to use 'direct://'
--2011-05-09 19:27:05--
http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=GBPZAR=X&f=sl1d1
Resolving download.finance.yahoo.com... 76.13.114.90
Connecting to download.finance.yahoo.com|76.13.114.90|:80... connected.
Length: unspecified [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: “quotes.csv”

    [ <=>                                   ] 31          --.-K/s   in 0s

2011-05-09 19:27:05 (1.75 MB/s) - “quotes.csv” saved [31]

thb at thb-nb:~> cat quotes.csv
"GBPZAR=X",11.0368,"5/9/2011"

The amount of experience is directly proportional to
the amount of destroyed equipment.