[Kmymoney] problem importing qif file

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sat Aug 20 16:02:32 UTC 2011

Hi,

on Saturday 20 August 2011 15:23:56 Jack wrote:

> Gary,
>
> When responding to a digest, please try to change the subject.
>
> On 2011.08.20 08:29, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> > > Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 07:02:34 -0700 (PDT)
> > > From: Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net>
> >>
> >> Please post the first five to ten lines of the file here - you can
> >> change any account numbers or actual amounts.  Then we can confirm
> >> whether or not it is really a QIF file.
> >>
> >> However, the CRLF means it was exported on a PC.  I'm pretty sure
> >> KMM will read it correctly with either PC or Linux line endings (can
> >> someone confirm this?) but just as a test you could try "dos2linux <
> >> date.qif > newdate.qif" to change the line endings and see if that
> >> copy will import.
> >
> > Here are the first few lines.  The error messge reads Account has
> > Invalid type then KMM freezes.
> >
> > !Type:Tag
> > Nancestry
> > ^
> > NBarcelona trip
> > ^
> > NHostess Gifts
> > ^
> > NHotels, B&Bs, etc.
> > ^
> > NHousehold
> > ^
> > NInsurance
> > ^
> > NLabor
> > ^
> > NMaterials
> > ^
> > Npostage
> > ^
> > NPrisca Project
>
> OK - there are several issues here.
>
> First, I thought I saw in a separate message that you got this to
> work.  Am I confusing two different threads?
>
> Second, I think this is the first time you said that KMM gave an error
> message "Account has invalid type" before freezing.  If we knew this at
> the beginning, we could have saved a lot of steps.

Yes, but I wonder how the file can trigger that.

> As Allan said, KMM currently does not deal with the Tag section in
> QIF.  To remove that section, in a text editor, remove all lines from
> "!Type:Tag" to the line before the next "!Type" line.  (As a wishlist,
> should it at least ignore it?)

I just checked the source and it is exactly what it is doing. When started
from a terminal, you should see a message

   Unknown type code 'Tag' in QIF file on line %d

I expect %d being 1 for your file. The following entries up to the next line
starting with 'Type:' are ignored. So no new wishlist item needed here.

The beauty of standards is that there are so many to choose from.