[Kmymoney] problem importing qif file

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 20 13:23:56 UTC 2011

Gary,

When responding to a digest, please try to change the subject.

On 2011.08.20 08:29, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 07:02:34 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net>
>> Please post the first five to ten lines of the file here - you can
>> change any account numbers or actual amounts.  Then we can confirm
>> whether or not it is really a QIF file.
> >
>> However, the CRLF means it was exported on a PC.  I'm pretty sure
>> KMM will read it correctly with either PC or Linux line endings (can
>> someone confirm this?) but just as a test you could try "dos2linux <
>> date.qif > newdate.qif" to change the line endings and see if that
>> copy will import.
>
> Here are the first few lines.  The error messge reads Account has
> Invalid type then KMM freezes.
>
> !Type:Tag
> Nancestry
> ^
> NBarcelona trip
> ^
> NHostess Gifts
> ^
> NHotels, B&Bs, etc.
> ^
> NHousehold
> ^
> NInsurance
> ^
> NLabor
> ^
> NMaterials
> ^
> Npostage
> ^
> NPrisca Project

OK - there are several issues here.

First, I thought I saw in a separate message that you got this to
work.  Am I confusing two different threads?

Second, I think this is the first time you said that KMM gave an error
message "Account has invalid type" before freezing.  If we knew this at
the beginning, we could have saved a lot of steps.

As Allan said, KMM currently does not deal with the Tag section in
QIF.  To remove that section, in a text editor, remove all lines from
"!Type:Tag" to the line before the next "!Type" line.  (As a wishlist,
should it at least ignore it?)

dos2linux and dos2unix are essentially the same, and which one you have
depends on your distribution.  Also, as has been said in other
messages, it doesn't matter, as KMM doesn't care about which type of
line ending you have.

Sorry it's taking so long to get this to work, but get it sorted out.