[Kmymoney] Hello - new and looking for help and advice migrating from MsMoney to KMM

Peter peter777 at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Aug 10 11:21:39 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 10 August 2011 20:54:11 Peter wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 11:04:33 +0100
>
> aga <agander93 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 11:22:20 +1000
> >
> > Peter <cave at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> > > Hello Allan
> > >
> > > I have run KMM 4.5.3 on Linux Mint 11 from both the terminal command
> > > line and from the start menu and imported the Amex.qif file in each
> > > instance with the same results.
> > >
> > > I get two accounts, both under the Assets heading,
> > >
> > > 1.one showing Amex Gold Card as a checking account (incorrect), with
> > > zero balance (correct), and
> > >
> > > 2.the other showing Bank of Qld A Account also a checking
> > > account (correct), with the direct debit amounts of the Amex Gold
> > > Card (as a negative (correct) amount - most likely due to the fact
> > > that there is no other balance to offset against - so this would be
> > > correct.)
> > >
> > > Having now looked at the Amex.qif file with a text editor and seen
> > > that the !Type CCard line seems to be correct, should KMM recognise
> > > this and import as a Credit Card Liability account?
> > >
> > > If it were possible to Edit the import generated Amex Gold Card
> > > account and change the type from Checking to Credit Card then
> > > perhaps the account would then appear under the Liability heading.
> > >
> > > Maybe this is a too simplistic approach to fix the problem??
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Peter
> >
> > Hi Peter
> >
> > I've just tried again, as it happened on my Mint PC.  Still all looks
> > correct.
> >
> > I suspect that your accounts may have been set up incorrectly from
> > your earlier attempts.  Can you delete both of those accounts (right
> > click), when in Accounts view.  You'll need to delete all the
> > transactions first.  This may be done in bulk, by selecting all items
> > in one of the accounts, then delete.   Then repeat in the other
> > account.  If you're not able to delete an account, it will be because
> > there are other references to them, possibly in Reports or Schedules,
> > if you've got that far yet.
> >
> > The credit card account is correctly listed under Liability here.
> > I think you're nearly there, at least so far as this issue is
> > concerned.
> >
> > Allan
>
> Hello Alan
>
> I have deleted both accounts - no difficulty there- and had also
> started the above import with a new clean install of KMM.
>
> The accounts button now shows
> Liability with no sub accounts and a balance of $0.00 and
> Assets with no sub accounts and a balance of $0.00.
>
> I must be doing something untoward as I am at a loss to explain how you
> can import the file and find it as a Credit Card under Liabilities.
>
> Ok - exactly my procedure:
>
> Start KMM from the menu
>
> Click on file - import - qif, browse for the file and click on it, QIF
> profile is Default, Source of QIF is Other Application, then click
> Import.

> [...]

Peter,

In my KMM, I have an AMEX account imported from msmoney. It shows 'credit
card' under KMM. Here is the header part of the original QIF file from
MsMoney..

----
!Type:CCard
D11/07'03
T0.00
CX
POpening Balance
L[American Express]
^
D11/07'03
CX
etc, etc
---

the exported QIF file from KMM shows ..

-----
!Type:Bank
D11/07'03
T0.00
CX
POpening Balance
L[American Express]
^
D11/07'03
CX
etc,etc
----

but KMM definitely shows it as a credit card under liabilities.

Peter