[Kmymoney] Re: kmymoney 4.5.3 installation

Ian Millington ian at ianmillington.co.uk
Mon Apr 18 01:26:05 CEST 2011

Great advice, if it's not broken don't fix it.

I have lost count of the new users who download files off the net, as if
they are running windows. Those files are often source code, that
require a series of commands ( and appropriate packages to be installed)
to work. Almost invariably it doesn't work, and often they conclude that
Linux is too hard and so not for them and give up, whereas they don't
realise the program is actually available for 1 click-install in the
distros package manager (in ubuntu it's the software center). I note you
haven't fallen into that trap. Admittedly the distro version  might not
be the latest version, but it is one that has been tested by the distro,
in your (and my) case Canonical and is known to work.

Just to explain something. When a distro  (eg ubuntu) releases a
version, thereafter it will tend to release updates that are security
related (i.e bug-fixes) as opposed to feature improvement versions. So
unless new versions of kmymoney are released to deal with security
issues new versions will tend to find their way into the next release
only, hence your issue. The forthcoming 11.04 version ( I am currently
running Kubuntu 11.04 ) uses kmymony 4.5.3.

In ubuntu, this lag has given rise to the personal package archive
("ppa") concept where program developers et al can set up their own
repositories to provide updated versions outside of the official one. As
regards the link given to you earlier, you can definitely trust the
Claydoh ppa. Claydoh is one of the main moderators at the kubuntu forums
and he has put the source code you downloaded into files that you can
install though your package manager. Either that, in less than 2 weeks
time, the latest version will be your default, assuming you stick with
ubuntu and upgrade.

Stick with it. Give it a month, and you probably will not want to go back!

Ian