[Kmymoney] Re: Investment accounts

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 22:07:28 CEST 2011

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 10:54:47 -0700
Konstantin Svist <fry.kun at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to set up KMM with my Schwab brokerage account
> I've added an account (type: Investment) and linked it to the Schwab
> OFX (as described at the bottom of
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/OFX_Direct_Connect_Bank_Settings)
>
> Thing is, the Schwab brokerage accounts include info on investments &
> cash at the same time. So, if I transfer $100 to an empty brokerage
> account (actual transfer, in schwab.com), the account has $100 to buy
> securities with. When I download the OFX into KMM, it shows up as
> "Buy Shares" with Price/share: $1.00 and Shares: 100. And it doesn't
> look like there's any way to mark it as a transfer.
>
> Furthermore, dividends (not reinvested) show up as Amount: <actual
> amount> but Total: $0.00
>
> I'm sure that other people are using some of these features, which
> basically means I had set it up wrong.
> So let me have it: what's the right way to set it up?
>

> Extra info (who knows, might be relevant):
> * I'm using KMM 4.5.2 on KDE 4.6.1 libraries (XFCE)

Hi

I'm not a developer and I think you'll need an authoritative answer on
this, but the problem may result from what I understand is that KMM
does not yet deal adequately with mixed cash and investments in the
same account.  (That may not be an accurate explanation of the
situation, but hopefully you'll get one shortly.)

If this does turn out to be the case, and pending a fix for the issue,
I wonder if you have an alternative file format available from Schwab,
like CSV?  The reason I ask is that I've been working on a csv file
importer, and it is able to import mixed files and split them into cash
and investment accounts.  I have only been able to test this
functionality with a single file format, but it does work for my
testing.  If this may be of any help, let me know and say if you can
provide a specimen file, suitably depersonalised.  Or, even if you
don't wish to take this route, I'd still appreciate a sample file.

Allan