[Kmymoney] Re: Cannot edit payee list

Ian Millington ian at ianmillington.co.uk
Fri Apr 1 00:37:30 CEST 2011

Hi Allan

On 31/03/11 11:44, aga wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:23:44 +0100
> Ian Millington<ian at ianmillington.co.uk>  wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I've tried with both 4.5.2 and 4.5.3 with the same result. It works
>> with 1.0.5 though.
>>
>> I tried setting KMM to show only transactions from 1/1/2011. No
>> difference.
>>
> Well, either that indicates that this procedure still reads all
> payees/transactions, or that the fault is later that Jan.  You could
> try 1 Mar 2011?

Yes I have, and sadly it is still the same.
>> I'm not sure how I would run a transaction report by payee. Do you
>> have any guidance on that please?
>>
> Select Report/Transactions/Transactions by Payee.  You then get a
> wizard allowing you to specify requirements.  Account will probably
> have everything selected, as will category and payee.  So just set the
> start date to your earliest date.  You'll get a long list per payee of
> all transactions.  See what happens, and if anything looks untoward.
> Changing start-end dates might help, too.
I ran a transaction report from 1/1/1999 to date and it looks like it
picked everything up, and didn't return any error messages at all. So
that was fine.
>> Also, I don't know how valid this is but running a consistency check
>> produces the error "consistency check failed - invalid transaction to
>> be modified".
>>
> Now, that is significant.  I didn't ask about that as the check is now
> done on every save, and, as I understand it, any error should get
> fixed.  I think I was assuming you couldn't save.  When you got that
> message, did you continue to save?  Otherwise, you'll continue to
> experience the problem, assuming KMM can fix it.
On the consistency check, I merely used tools/consistency check without
having any real clue as to what it would do.  I have no trouble at all
saving, or doing a backup. I can save the file in 4.5.2/3 and open it in
1.0.5 and it works flawlessly, I can delete payees and reassign at will.
However, when I revert to 4.5.x the issue is still there. It's not the
end of the world, and I can add new payees whilst working within the
ledgers, it's just that nothing in the payee pane works. I wondered it
might be a bug in the GUI or simply that there were too many payees
(file info says 1307!) but the fact that you can open the anonymous file
suggests otherwise, so it looks like it is specific to my installation.

A couple of points: I did try within 4.5.3 setting up a new user and
when I did I can add and delete payees. Could the issue be the way I set
up the user account? I simply exported the kmy file from skrooge, opened
it in kmy, set the preferences and saved. Should I have done it differently?

Thanks

Ian

> Allan
>
>> I can't get past the fact that 1.0.5 works on this but 4.x.x doesn't.
>> Weird!
>>
>> On 31/03/11 10:55, aga wrote:

>>> Hi Ian
>>>
>>> Those messages are normal, that is, I get them, too.
>>>
>>> I'm on the svn version, so I've now installed the openSuse version,
>>> which is 4.5.2.  This too has no problem with your payees in the
>>> anon file.  I can select, edit and delete them without problem.
>>>
>>> So, if I can do this on svn and 4.5.2, and you can't on 4.5.3, that
>>> suggest an incompatibility between 4.5.3 and your file.  If you
>>> haven't already done this, could you try 4.5.2?
>>>
>>> Another couple of things you could try first.  If you could open the
>>> config. settings, and then General/Filter, change the year to, say
>>> 2011 to exclude earlier details.  See if that might exclude a
>>> problem payee.  If so, try an earlier year, and, if not, try a
>>> later month.  If this makes a difference in any way, you might be
>>> able to narrow down to the problem, although with the number of
>>> payees you have, it could be a bit laborious.
>>>
>>> The other way would be to run a Transactions report by payee, and
>>> see if that coughs, or gives any indication of a problem.
>>>
>>> A final thing I might be tempted to try, if all else failed, is to
>>> produce an xml file of your real data, and do a search and replace
>>> in it.  It's a bit tricky, for me anyway, but I did succeed in
>>> replacing every payee with a single new payee.  I think you said
>>> you would be too upset to lose your payees?  Very important to save
>>> the result with a new name, to avoid overwriting real data.  If you
>>> get to this stage, let me know!
>>>
>>> allan

Created in Mozilla Thunderbird and Kubuntu Linux - all free software
www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird
www.kubuntu.org