disappearing data or correupt data file

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Oct 3 20:33:07 BST 2023

On 2023.10.03 15:06, Jack via KMyMoney-devel wrote:
> First, it seems that the most recent good file is my explicit backup
> from 30 Sep and even the oldest autobackup from 02 Oct is bad.  The
> main action between them was OFX direct connect download of all
> mapped accounts.  Now I'm wondering if there was something funny in
> the import.  Actually I know there was something funny, related to
> telling KMM not to create the unknown equity, and apparently having
> it stop the import (at least for that account) at that point.
> However, I don't see how that could create this particular problem.
>
> Comparing XML files is difficult, because (as has been discussed on
> the mailing list in the past,) the order of attributes is not
> consistent.
>
> xmllint shows as bad only the oldest four of the autobackup files (02
> Oct from 16:57 to 17:13.)  I tried using xmllint -c11n, to possibly
> be able to diff the various versions, but it won't process the four
> "bad" files.
>
> These four files seems to have </KMYMONEY-FILE> inserted immediately
> before <PRICEPAIR from="E000525" to="USD"> but otherwise show changes
> to the ACCOUNTS and TRANSACTIONS related to my edits as part of
> reconciliation.  These all seem to have all the pricepairs intact.
> The ends of those files show all my reports, followed by <BUDGETS/>
> and <ONLINEJOBS/> but no </KMYMONEY-FILE>.
I just noticed a second problem, which I should have seen earlier.  Not
only has </KMYMONEY-FILE> moved from the end of the file about 400
lines up, but </PRICES> has also moved up, from immediately before
<REPORTS> to one line above </KMYMONEY-FILE>.

> The remaining files have </KMYMONEY-FILE> back to the end of the file
> but have the pricepairs after E000525 with only one (wrong) price,
> then empty reports, budgets, and online jobs, with the final
> </KMYMONEY-FILE>
>
> So, at some point after a big OFX import (and possibly other
> (relatively minor?) changes, the last line of the file got moved just
> over 400 lines up.  It's likely that the next four files were
> sequential saves, without re-reading the file.  I'm guessing that
> after saving those four (and probably some earlier ones that got
> rolled over with the limit of 10 autobackups) I restarted KMM, and
> although it read the bad file, without apparent complaint and saved
> valid files after that, it lost all custom reports, and dropped some
> pricepars totally and all except one price for the others (after the
> pricepair prior to the stray </KMYMONEY-FILE>.
>
> I've just captured console output from a clean start of KMM, reading
> first the most recent good file, and then the earliest bad file.
> Those logs are identical through loading all the plugins then differe
> in the file name (URL) being opened.  There are differences in the
> number of items loaded for "P", accounts, "T", "E", all increasing.
> There is a decrease in number of prices, even though there are 151
> more "<PRICE " entries in the file.    Increase in number of splits.
> Differences in time to process home view sections.
>
> The message ' 0 instead of 1 arguments to message "The size of the
> file..." supplied before conversion' shows up for both files.
>
> My first attempt at a cut/paste fix didn't work, so I'll try once
> more again, otherwise I'll just resign myself to starting over from
> the file from the 30th.
I'll guess now that it didn't work because I didn't correct the
misplaced </PRICES> line.