disappearing data or correupt data file

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Oct 3 20:06:56 BST 2023

First, it seems that the most recent good file is my explicit backup
from 30 Sep and even the oldest autobackup from 02 Oct is bad.  The
main action between them was OFX direct connect download of all mapped
accounts.  Now I'm wondering if there was something funny in the
import.  Actually I know there was something funny, related to telling
KMM not to create the unknown equity, and apparently having it stop the
import (at least for that account) at that point.  However, I don't see
how that could create this particular problem.

Comparing XML files is difficult, because (as has been discussed on the
mailing list in the past,) the order of attributes is not consistent.

xmllint shows as bad only the oldest four of the autobackup files (02
Oct from 16:57 to 17:13.)  I tried using xmllint -c11n, to possibly be
able to diff the various versions, but it won't process the four "bad"
files.

These four files seems to have </KMYMONEY-FILE> inserted immediately
before <PRICEPAIR from="E000525" to="USD"> but otherwise show changes
to the ACCOUNTS and TRANSACTIONS related to my edits as part of
reconciliation.  These all seem to have all the pricepairs intact.  The
ends of those files show all my reports, followed by <BUDGETS/> and
<ONLINEJOBS/> but no </KMYMONEY-FILE>.

The remaining files have </KMYMONEY-FILE> back to the end of the file
but have the pricepairs after E000525 with only one (wrong) price, then
empty reports, budgets, and online jobs, with the final </KMYMONEY-FILE>

So, at some point after a big OFX import (and possibly other
(relatively minor?) changes, the last line of the file got moved just
over 400 lines up.  It's likely that the next four files were
sequential saves, without re-reading the file.  I'm guessing that after
saving those four (and probably some earlier ones that got rolled over
with the limit of 10 autobackups) I restarted KMM, and although it read
the bad file, without apparent complaint and saved valid files after
that, it lost all custom reports, and dropped some pricepars totally
and all except one price for the others (after the pricepair prior to
the stray </KMYMONEY-FILE>.

I've just captured console output from a clean start of KMM, reading
first the most recent good file, and then the earliest bad file.  Those
logs are identical through loading all the plugins then differe in the
file name (URL) being opened.  There are differences in the number of
items loaded for "P", accounts, "T", "E", all increasing.  There is a
decrease in number of prices, even though there are 151 more "<PRICE "
entries in the file.    Increase in number of splits.  Differences in
time to process home view sections.

The message ' 0 instead of 1 arguments to message "The size of the
file..." supplied before conversion' shows up for both files.

My first attempt at a cut/paste fix didn't work, so I'll try once more
again, otherwise I'll just resign myself to starting over from the file
from the 30th.