doc question on importer plugins

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Nov 1 15:36:25 GMT 2023

On 11/1/23 03:07, Thomas Baumgart via KMyMoney-devel wrote:
> On Dienstag, 31. Oktober 2023 23:45:39 CET Jack via KMyMoney-devel wrote:
>> As I'm updating the handbook, there are a number of places where it
>> says the plugins may be available for Linux Distributions as separate
>> packages, rather than being compiled into the core KMyMoney.  Does
>> anyone know if this is still true, or are all distros now compiling all
>> plugins included with the core source code directly into their
>> versions?  I think it would simplify the handbook not to have to
>> mention the possibility of needing additional packages, especially if
>> they are no longer used.
> I think the initial idea was that people outside the project will
> provide plugins which will then be delivered as separate packages
> by the distros. This, unfortunately, never happened and all current
> plugins are part of the main source code tree. From what I know,
> distros usually build the whole tree, so the details in the handbook
> can be removed. (my 2 cents)

That matches my understanding.  I have already added a general section
on plugins to one of the first few chapters, which I will further expand
with more of these details.  I have started, and will continue to remove
most mentions of plugins (especially regarding separate packages) from
the sections on each of the plugins.

Thanks.