KPeople/KContacts/Akonadi

Nicolas Fella nicolas.fella at gmx.de
Fri Jul 28 00:48:21 BST 2023

Am 27.07.23 um 20:26 schrieb Jeremy Whiting:
> hey all,
>
> At Akademy there was some discussion about dissolving
> KPeople/KContacts and Akonadi. One user of those that came up was
> KMyMoney. I took a quick look at what it's using that for and it seems
> to only be when adding payees, by trying to lookup names/email in the
> above libraries
> is that something users rely on and actually use? I've never come
> across it myself, but I likely don't use many features kmm has. I
> *think* Nicolas Fella the guy that wrote/maintains KContacts mentioned
> there have been issues with it and it never worked well. You had to
> create a .vcard file and import that in order to get any contact data,
> etc.
>
> If it doesn't work I suggest we remove it, so KMyMoney isn't one of
> the last reasons for it to continue to exist. If it does work or
> people are using it maybe it would be best to discuss either ways to
> fix it or improve it I guess.
>
> I'll add Nicolas to the cc to add any insight he has or clarify any of
> my misunderstandings.

There are indeed some.

KContacts and Akonadi are not going anywhere. The problematic part is
KPeople, which KMyMomey doesn't currently use.

The reason KMM came up in this discussion is
https://invent.kde.org/office/kmymoney/-/issues/54. There the idea was
since depending on Akonadi is not very portable to use KPeople as a
light-weight, read-only view into the "system contacts". On Plasma that
would then likely use Akonadi internally. I still think it's the right
thing to do conceptually, but given the poor state of KPeople it's not
something I'd recommend doing now.

Cheers

Nico

PS: I did not write or maintain any of these projects, I'm just a guy
with opinions