KPeople/KContacts/Akonadi

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Thu Jul 27 19:26:58 BST 2023

hey all,

At Akademy there was some discussion about dissolving KPeople/KContacts and
Akonadi. One user of those that came up was KMyMoney. I took a quick look
at what it's using that for and it seems to only be when adding payees, by
trying to lookup names/email in the above libraries
<https://matrix.to/#/!awaWXrXTsHEIHMLQAG:matrix.org/$1690482159369TEHDW:kde.org?via=libera.chat&via=kde.org&via=matrix.org>
is that something users rely on and actually use? I've never come across it
myself, but I likely don't use many features kmm has. I *think* Nicolas
Fella the guy that wrote/maintains KContacts mentioned there have been
issues with it and it never worked well. You had to create a .vcard file
and import that in order to get any contact data, etc.

If it doesn't work I suggest we remove it, so KMyMoney isn't one of the
last reasons for it to continue to exist. If it does work or people are
using it maybe it would be best to discuss either ways to fix it or improve
it I guess.

I'll add Nicolas to the cc to add any insight he has or clarify any of my
misunderstandings.

BR,
Jeremy