Chase moves to Open Banking API

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Oct 19 19:28:30 BST 2022

On 2022.10.08 17:52, Jack via KMyMoney-devel wrote:
> On 2022.10.08 17:15, Dawid Wrobel wrote:

>>> I created an account with https://developer.chase.com and am about
>>> to send a message, asking if they could look into our case. The
>>> FinTS precedent could help.

>> FYI, I sent out the following message:
>>
>> To Whom It May Concern,
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am one of the core developers of the open source KMyMoney personal
>> accounting software, and personally a happy CHASE Bank customer.
>> Over the past years I used the software in speech to automatically
>> download the history of transactions using OFX Direct Connect, which
>> worked perfectly. As you're obviously aware, you have decided to
>> shut it down, in favor of the Open Banking API. The reasoning behind
>> it is totally understandable. We are wondering, however, what would
>> be the process of authorizing a non-profit, open-source software
>> like KMyMoney to use your APIs. We don't want to go through the
>> somewhat common route of leveraging the 3rd party integrators in
>> likes of Yodlee or Salt-edge, as this would severely affect our
>> users' privacy. The only way out is to establish a direct
>> relationship with JPMorgan CHASE.
>>
>> It's worth mentioning that KDE e.V., the registered non-profit
>> organization behind the KMyMoney, was previously authorized on our
>> behalf by the German/Swiss/Austrian FinTS, which operate on the
>> basis compatible with European Union's PSD2 directive, which, in
>> turn imposes similar restrictions to your own. We would be happy to
>> provide any details on how this was processed with FinTS. Hopefully
>> that precedent will help to see our case in a favorable light.
>> --
>> Best Regards,
>> Dawid Wrobel
>
> I'm curious to whom you sent the message, and what type of response
> you receive.  I've had plenty of phone calls and emails with Bank of
> America and Merrill Lynch over the past weeks, and I have not yet
> spoken to anyone who has the slightest clue what I'm talking about,
> much less has the authority to even begin discussing such a request.

Some minor updates.  First, for unknkown reasons, Bank of America has
started working again.

I finally did speak to someone more on the technical side from BOA/ML,
and although they did not have any definitive answers, they did seem to
understand the problem (including that the change affected anyone doing
OFX direct connect but not using Quicken,) and they at least promised
to do some deeper digging.  They had no idea if anything was done to
reverse the earlier change at BOA.  Second, I sent a similar request to
the Electronic Frontier Foundation, and at least got a (delayed)
response that the message would be forwareded to the appropriate people.