thoughts on toggling between Investment and Brokerage accoun ts

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Thu Jun 23 10:53:25 BST 2022

On Mittwoch, 22. Juni 2022 23:15:30 CEST Jack via KMyMoney-devel wrote:

> [Note I've changed the subject, but this is actually a reply to my
> first "question on finding account id from name" to keep them threaded
> together]
>
> The purpose of my effort is to be easily able to switch the ledger
> between and Investment account and its Brokerage account.
>
> For starts, I've just added a GoToBrokerage, similar to the GoToAccount
> and GoToPayee items already present.  I've done this  in the old
> ledger, in the 5.1 branch, so I can have it in my production version.
>
> First question - since it is intended to switch between two accounts,
> should it be a single "GoToBrokerage" or separate "GoToBrokerage" and
> "GoToInvestment"?  I briefly considered "ToggleBrokerage/Investment"
> but it sounds too awkward.

Depending on the actual context, you could set the menu item text to "Goto
brokerage" or "Goto investment" before you open the context menu. The whole
logic for that is kept in KGlobalLedgerView::updateLedgerActionsInternal()
(at least in 5.1).

> Next question - in cases where the GoToBrokerage goes to the same
> account as the GoToAccount, is it reasonable to have two identical menu
> items, or should I disable the second?  This is just for the aesthetics
> of the display, I know it's not really important.
>
> For future consideration - currently, there really is a 1 to 1 relation
> between investment and brokerage accounts.  In the future, when a
> brokerage account is not restricted by the current naming, it will be
> possible to have multiple investment accounts pointing to a single
> brokerage account.  This is actually the case for my accounts with
> Vanguard.  Once this is possible, I have no idea how to add an
> arbitrary number of menu items.  This is a similar issue to Dawid's
> thoughts (in one of the related bugs?) to having a GoToAccount for the
> Category of every split, if there is more than one.  I do not know if
> this needs to be (or can be) handled differently in the old and new
> ledgers.  If the same, I'll consider trying it now, but if different, I
> don't think there is any point in starting with the old ledger.

I think we should provide the feature of a 1:* brokerage/investment link
in master only since it is a new feature. Therefore, I would not worry too
much about the implementation in a 1:1 environment.

In case we support more than one destination (the same as with the goto account
that Dawid commented on) we can use a submenu to display and select them.
See the "Move transaction to" feature how this may look like.

> I figure I must be missing something else, so all comments welcome.
>
> Jack

Life would be so much easier if we could just
look at the source code. -- Dave Olson