thoughts on toggling between Investment and Brokerage accoun ts

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jun 22 22:15:30 BST 2022

[Note I've changed the subject, but this is actually a reply to my
first "question on finding account id from name" to keep them threaded
together]

The purpose of my effort is to be easily able to switch the ledger
between and Investment account and its Brokerage account.

For starts, I've just added a GoToBrokerage, similar to the GoToAccount
and GoToPayee items already present.  I've done this  in the old
ledger, in the 5.1 branch, so I can have it in my production version.

First question - since it is intended to switch between two accounts,
should it be a single "GoToBrokerage" or separate "GoToBrokerage" and
"GoToInvestment"?  I briefly considered "ToggleBrokerage/Investment"
but it sounds too awkward.

Next question - in cases where the GoToBrokerage goes to the same
account as the GoToAccount, is it reasonable to have two identical menu
items, or should I disable the second?  This is just for the aesthetics
of the display, I know it's not really important.

For future consideration - currently, there really is a 1 to 1 relation
between investment and brokerage accounts.  In the future, when a
brokerage account is not restricted by the current naming, it will be
possible to have multiple investment accounts pointing to a single
brokerage account.  This is actually the case for my accounts with
Vanguard.  Once this is possible, I have no idea how to add an
arbitrary number of menu items.  This is a similar issue to Dawid's
thoughts (in one of the related bugs?) to having a GoToAccount for the
Category of every split, if there is more than one.  I do not know if
this needs to be (or can be) handled differently in the old and new
ledgers.  If the same, I'll consider trying it now, but if different, I
don't think there is any point in starting with the old ledger.

I figure I must be missing something else, so all comments welcome.